- "There is only one way this ends, Kal. Either you die or I do."
- —General Zod to Superman
General Zod and Faora-Ul retreat from the battling in Smallville with their troops after their visors are damaged, triggering a sensory overload. They decide to position the Black Zero ship above Metropolis and to send the World Engine on the other side of the globe, in order to start a terraforming process. Their goal is to reshape Earth using gravity pulses and to create a Kryptonian-like environment.
Returning Black Zero to the Phantom ZoneEdit
The United States Armed Forces are deployed to destroy the Black Zero ship destroying Metroplis using F-35s in formation. They all deploy destructive missiles at the alien craft but the disrupted gravity surrounding the ship cause the missiles to miss and some jets to crash.
A C-17 carrying Kal-El's Starcraft with it's Phantom Drive to be activated and dropped on Black Zero as a bomb to send the ship and it's inhabitants back to the Phantom Zone. As the C-17 approaches it's final run, Faora-Ul intercepts it mid flight and kills most aboard before they can activate the ship. General Zod who had retrieved the Scout Ship containing the Genesis Chamber follows up behind the C-17 and its 2 security jets and before it can destroy the C-17, Superman crashes into the ship diverting the shot and bringing it crashing down. Emil Hamilton manages to activate the Phantom Drive as Colonel Hardy suicide pilots the craft into Black Zero activating a temporary portal to the Phantom Zone sucking Black Zero, the remaining Kryptonians and most of the debris inwards. Superman catches Lois Lane midlight as she falls from the C-17 and struggles but manages to escape the Phantom Zone's pull.
Landing in the now open clearing, Superman and Lois share a kiss before hearing Zod emerge from rubble still on the planet.
Final Battle with ZodEdit
Furious that Superman has taken away his only chance of recreating Krypton and his soldiers, Zod engages Superman in a ferocious battle, promising to kill every human on the planet. The two aliens collide in a colossal shock-wave, and Zod sends Superman flying backwards into a half destroyed building. Zod follows and manages to activate his Heat Vision taking away an entire floor of the building sending it collapsing on Superman who manages to escape just in time. Zod then attacks Superman again on street level, first kicking a massive LexCorp truck at him, and punching him hundreds of feet into the air, before declaring that the only way this fight will end, is if one of them dies. Zod quickly scales up the building, as Superman flies down and the two collide again, this time Superman sending Zod flying onto an unfinished skyscraper, where Zod successfully ambushes him with a broken metal beam, before mastering his power of flight. Superman proceeds to tackle him into the air and they fight above the Metropolis skyline where Superman initially has the upper hand, before Zod's superior fighting skills take over and he ruthlessly slams Superman into numerous buildings, after which Zod tackles his opponent up, miles out of the atmosphere. He then throws a Wayne Enterprises satellite at Superman, as the two aliens come crashing down into Metropolis Central Station.
Superman manages to grapple Zod into a choke hold, but Zod uses his heat vision to try and kill a cornered civilian family. Superman tries to pull his head away to divert the heat vision pleeding with him to stop which Zod vows to never do, and Superman lets go and breaks Zod's neck, killing the malevolent Kryptonian and saving the family. After doing so, Superman screams out in tears at what he had to do, fully remorseful of the necessary act he had to commit. Lois Lane, who ran after the falling debris of the satellite, arrives to console the distraught Superman.
Kal-El returned home to Smallville to visit his mother Martha Kent whilst a clean up operation began to clear Metropolis of the debris and rubble that the destructive fight between Kal-El and Zod caused added to the massive destruction caused by the gravity beam from Black Zero.
Metropolis citizens went back to their normal lives in and around the city for those whose building wasn't destroyed or damaged.
As for the barren wasteland left from where Black Zero had begun the terraformation, Metropolis Park was soon built over it, along with a massive statue of Superman, built in honor of the alien superhero.
- Man of Steel (First appearance)
- When Zod throws Superman into a sign at the construction site, the sign says "This site has gone 160 Days without an accident. After Superman hit it, it said 0.
- In the battle there where six references to the comics.
- Zod threw a LexCorp truck at Superman, which is a reference to Lex Luthor, who many know for being Superman's greatest foe.
- Two references to Batman where made. Superman and Zod crashed into a satellite made by Wayne Enterprises, which is a company owned by Batman's secret identity, Bruce Wayne. Also, a poster inside a building stated "Keep calm and call Batman".
- A reference to Booster Gold is made. A Blaze Comics building can be seen in Zod and Superman's fight. Blaze Comics is the name of the company that publishes the Booster Gold comic book in DC Comics.
- S.T.A.R. Labs Metropolis was seen.
- Utopia Casino was also seen.
- Both the terraforming and battle in Metropolis would've hit the nation harder than the September 11 attacks.
- According to some websites, the amount of damage to Metropolis here is worth around $250 Billion.